Most of the following is extracted from "Historical Minutes" compiled by Helen Plummer in 1989. 

LUMC 2007
The Londonderry Methodist Church was founded in the spring of 1854 with the first service held by Mr. Nutter in the Londonderry Town Hall (now the Lion's Hall).  Mr. Nutter, from Kingston, was subsequently appointed to Londonderry by the Methodist Conference and worship services were started in small neighborhood meetings in different parts of town. 

After two years of fundraising and building, the Methodist Church building was completed and dedicated on March 5, 1856, with a debt of $300 which was soon repaid.   In 1869 the first parsonage was purchased with raised funds of $1200 plus a debt of $500. 

LUMC Sanctuary 1899During the period from 1871 to 1883 the Sunday School membership grew from 99 to 157!  A new organ was purchased at a cost of $100, and a chandelier for $37.  In 1884 eight new horse sheds were built at the rear of the church at a cost of $160.

 In the 1870s and 1880s there was much cooperation with the Londonderry Presbyterian Church.  The Methodist congregation contributed generously toward the purchase of a bell for the Presbyterian Church which was to be rung for the services of both churches.

Pew Receipt 1892A meeting of pew holders in 1891 decided to proceed with needed renovations.  The church was raised up to two feet, and a furnace and new slate roof were installed.  The door was changed to the center of the building and vestry and coat rooms to the right and left of the entrance were finished.

In 1931 electric lights were installed at the church and the parsonage, and water was piped to the sinks. 

In 1953 the Londonderry Methodist and Presbyterian churches joined in federation, which lasted until to 1961.  In 1968 the world-wide United Methodist Church was formed with the merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church.

The Londonderry United Methodist Church spire was added in 1980.  Ground was broken for the addition of the Sunday School and Fellowship Hall wing in June of 1988 and the building was consecrated on April 30, 1989.  Mike Sowers, Building Chairman and Bud Macomber, Clerk of the Works, headed up many volunteer workers.

RenovationsThe sanctuary has been renovated many times during its more than 150 year lifetime, the last of which was during the summer of 2000.  Termite-damaged floor joists were replaced and new flooring, carpeting, plastering, lighting and ceiling fans, communion rail and pulpit were installed. 

In the summer of 2003 an overhead projector and screen, sound equipment and additional power circuits were added to accommodate the new Living Well contemporary worship service. 

More recently we renovated the sanctuary basement for more classrooms and meeting spaces to accommodate our continued growth. 

Chimers Easter 2009

©2009-24 Londonderry United Methodist Church 
258 Mammoth Road,   Londonderry,   NH  03053 
(603) 432-7083   |